Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dream of the Temple at the End of Time

I'm on an airplane which is definitely going to crash. I walk up and down the aisles as the plane goes down. I awake into another dream, in which I share a room with a man who has been having the same airplane dream as me. We've been dreaming the same thing every night for weeks. We wake up every morning and compare notes. Each night, we're able to see a little bit more of the plane.

We eventually realize that we can appear in each other's dreams, that we're both passengers on the same plane (in more ways than one). It becomes our goal to work together to find out what's going on. We quickly realize that every stage in the historical development of humanity is represented by the other passengers in the plane. We see men and women from our own time, 60s mods, gangsters from the 40s, Japanese imperialists, pirates, Mongols, ancient Greeks and Egyptians, Sumerians, all the way back to cave people. The futher back the era, the further towards the back of the plane the passengers representing that era sit.

At length, it dawns upon us to break into the cabin and take control of the plane ourselves. Again and again we do this - we find that we can change the course of the plane, but we can never prevent the inevitable crash. After a number of attempts, we realize that we're being guided to a particular place. By steering the plane in such a way as to prolong flight for the longest possible time, we end up flying past an ancient temple on a hill overlooking what could be an ocean or perhaps the sky itself.

The temple is covered, but the walls are open. Night after night, we bring the airplane closer and closer to the temple, trying to get a glimpse of what's inside. At length, we come close enough to observe a priest stepping out into the courtyard of the temple. The priest looks our way, and from the cockpit window I recognize him as myself. I understand in a flash that I and my fellow dreamer are one, and that we are both the priest in the temple. All times are one time, and all things are one thing, and there is no separation between myself and the whole of the cosmos.

No comments:

Post a Comment